|Request for Deletion|
This is the policy for blocks.
Things to keep in mind when blockingEdit
- Users should not be blocked simply for making bad edits.
- Blocks should only be dealt with if the user persists in re-doing the edit or the same kind of edit and doesn't respond properly to messages on their talkpage about those bad edits.
- A user is only considered making "repeat edits" if their contributions page shows a fair gap in time between edits, or someone has sent a message to their talkpage about it and they continue those edits after they have obviously had enough time to be notified by the usermessage box and read the message.
- Obvious vandals shouldn't be blocked simply for making one bad edit/set of edits. Blocks on vandals are completely pointless if they aren't actually coming back to do more vandalism. Blocks on one-time vandal IPs only harm other valid editors who may be using the same computer.
- Temp blocks do make good warnings if a user has not responded to any warnings on their talkpage, especially if the user is currently making those edits when you make the temp block.
- Make note that block reasons show up whenever that blocked user goes to the edit page. So the block reason is a good place to put a message that is also to them as it will be in their face, rather than on their talkpage which while does notify them, is easier to passively ignore)
- Users who do not act civil towards other editors and ignore warnings to remain civil may be blocked.
- With valid reason infinite blocks on user accounts is okay.
- Anon users (IPs) should only be blocked a maximum of only 6 months, no longer, as it harms other people on a local network.
- The ability to edit ones own talkpage and send e-mails should not be revoked unless the user has actually abused that privilege or is a persistent vandal or troll who is highly likely to abuse that privilege and has no reason to be allowed to send any more messages.
- If a user makes a large batch of bad uploads a temp block can be used to force them to read over the image policy, and a permanent block may be followed up with if they continue to make more bad edits after it expires.